Stephen Arterburn's book, The Exceptional Life: 8 Powerful Steps to Experiencing God's Best for You, covers 8 different things in our lives that may be hindering us from - like it says in the title - experiencing God's best for us. In the introduction of the book, Arterburn states that he believes if he were to take the main problem anyone is having in life, no matter what it is, he'd be able to boil it down to the fact they must release one of eight things in order to gain the beneficial qualities they are missing. For every negative quality a person releases, they will gain a positive. Here is a list of what Arterburn covers in this book.
1. Give up guilt and shame, in order to get back hope.
2. Give up resentment, in order to get back love.
3. Give up fear, in order to get back trust.
4. Give up anger, in order to get back forgiveness.
5. Give up instant gratification, in order to get back patience.
6. Give up learned helplessness, in order to get back power.
7. Give up isolation, in order to get back connection and community.
8. Give up addiction, in order to get back freedom.
I love Stephen Arterburn's writing style. He seems to be knowledgeable of current trends, down to earth and extremely candid which is very appealing to me when I am reading a book--especially a book to help improve my life. This book is eye opening, and Arterburn's insight to each topic is thought-provoking. If you want to improve your life, I would definitely recommend this book. You won't be disappointed.
I received this book for free from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.